What to Bring When Buying a Car
When you’ve found the perfect car for the right price, all you want to do is get those keys in your hand so you can take it through Toledo! But if you want to speed up the paperwork process, you have to know what to bring when buying a car. In this guide, we’ll walk you through our best car shopping tips, so you can arrive prepared and leave happy!
How Long Will It Take?
On average, J.D. Power and Associates found that it took 3.6 hours to complete a car purchase in the year 2017. What took so long? First, the financing process takes some time. Between negotiating your trade-in value and paperwork, you could spend quite a bit of time in the office – especially if you’re unprepared. Your sales expert will take time to walk you through all of your standard and optional features. They can show you how to hook up your smartphone, flip on the safety controls, and make adjustments to your driving setup.
What Can I Bring to Speed Up the Process?
Our top car buying tips are to stay organized and be prepared. You’ll need to fill out quite a few forms, so it’s important to bring the right documents to make the process go as smoothly as possible. Here are some of the most common things you’ll need:
- Payment: Cashier’s checks, personal checks, and credit card payments are common – but find out what your dealership will accept to be safe.
- Driver’s License: The dealership may need to make a copy for identification, so double check your wallet!
- Trade-In Title and Registration: The car title, or pink slip, shows proof of ownership. If you have a cosigner, be sure to get their signature as well. You’ll also need your current registration information.
- Trade-In Loan Information: Is your trade-in still unpaid? Bring in the loan account number or call the lender to help you with the transition.
- Proof of Insurance: You’ll need insurance before you can drive off in your new car, so call your insurance company ahead of time to fax the details to the dealership.
- Rebate Eligibility Documents: Are you a student? Military personnel? If you qualify for a manufacturer rebate, double check the forms that you need to bring and enjoy your discount!
Get More Car Buying Tips!
Want to know what to do after buying a car? Find out with Vin Devers Autohaus of Sylvania, serving Perrysburg and Maumee, or contact us with any questions. Still looking? Check out our new Audi inventory for inspiration!